Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Dead Dog in the Driveway, a Vignette of sorts


This picture is entitled "Dead Dog", and you can probably see why. I again, have not yet found my connecting cord to my camera, and therefore cannot post the picture of the dead dog in the driveway. I will indeed when I get the chance.

Now for the vignette...

Several days ago, oh it was Friday I think, I was in the basement at Rob's parent's house watching the Food Network (as always). Then suddenly Rob's mom comes down the stairs and says, "There is a big dead dog in our driveway with a bunch of people standing around". So, immediately we are both thinking it got hit by a car and we rush up the stairs and out the door to check out what was going on. We find two women, a mother-daughter combo, and a man standing over a big dead dog. It was a three-year-old Alaskan Malamute, and it was not hit by a car. It instead had a heart attack right in the driveway. It then fell down dead, well it lay there breathing for a little bit I guess. I swear I saw its mouth moving while we were hovering over it. The older woman was sobbing. I guess she walks this dog while the owners are out of town and they were out for their normal Friday morning walk. The dog apparently had a murmur and a short life expectancy. All things were normal until the dog fell over dead as a doornail. The dog was gorgeous, and it had a smile on its face, so I bet it was excited to see Heaven (because as you know, "All Dogs Go To Heaven"). After talking about it as a family we pondered whether or not Buffy (Rob's old family dog) was their to urge Dakota to "go toward the light".

Well, needless to say, a dead dog in the driveway is not an everyday occurance.

2 comments:

kim said...

It's always good to have interesting dinner conversation readily available. So sad for the lady walking the dog--I wouldn't want to have to tell the owners.

Punj said...

That is a crazy once in a lifetime experience. A sad one too!